From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 11:29:20 -0500
Subject:        RE: Cataloging policy and practice for maps extracted from
atlases
Date:   Fri, 16 May 2008 12:08:57 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

I understand the dilemma that such a policy, not to catalog maps (or I suppose other imagery) extracted from atlases, presents.  I also understand the reasoning behind it.

In the case of significant maps (however one wishes to define the significance) from early atlases, one can find such a policy limiting a user's awareness that a map might be in the collection, especially when the atlas is not.  Examples that come to mind include maps of cities from early regional histories, where the cities are of local importance, and thematic maps of topical importance taken from general atlases, or maps of significant authorship from treatises.

In our special collections we have some maps of local history importance, taken from early histories.  In some cases a copy of the work, complete with the map, is in the collection, as well.  In a thematic collection of maps on vegetation (phytogeography) we have a map by Charles Sprague Sargent on the forests of the United States.  It was taken from the original work by the compiler of the collection.  Such a map is important, as well as the work it came from.

I think it is more useful to assess the importance of a map to the collection, knowing it might be extracted from a larger work, and make the decision based on the needs of the collection and users.  In many cases, it can certainly be reasonable to decide not to add an item to the collection.  But to make a policy apply to all potential situations is perhaps to disregard other factors.  I always feel uncomfortable with absolute inflexibility.  It seems to change the mission of the institution from one of meeting the needs of users to one of teaching users proper behaviors.  This might be desirable, but not at the expense of research or other needs.  Likewise, the reasoning behind a decision not to catalog an item might not be apparent to users.  Finally, a decision not to catalog a retained item is to withold information from your user community.

Ken

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA