From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 15:19:44 -0500
Subject:        OCLC implementing 034 in authorities
Date:   Fri, 23 May 2008 15:21:48 -0400
From:   Jimmie Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Friends and Allies,

I am happy to pass along a link to the new OCLC Tech Bulletin that
describes including the 034 field in authority records, additional
subfields for 034 in bibliographic records, and indexing of 034 subfield
z for bibliographic and 034 subfields d, e, f, g and z in authority
records.

"A new technical bulletin is available at
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/tb/255/255.pdf
Technical Bulletin 255, "OCLC-MARC Format Update 2008," describes the
changes to OCLC-MARC records".

Now maybe Colleen Cahill can start loading the coordinates in authority
records for places?

Thanks again to everyone who helped me develop and get passed the
proposal this came from a couple of years ago!
Jimmie

Jimmie Lundgren
Science & Social Science Cataloging Unit Head
Cataloging & Metadata Department
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611