From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:48:52 -0500
Subject:        Re: Connecting Teachers, Libraries and Geography
Date:   Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:27:50 -0500
From:   James R. Carter <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I will argue that some of the DVD's of Dora the Explorer should be
included in a listing of geography literature for children. Dora only
works for preschoolers. At about 5 years of age children seem to outgrow
Dora, but before then she teaches some geography. In particular I
recommend the DVDs entitled Map Adventures and World Adventures.

When a former student told me his 18-month old son knows what a map is
because he watches Dora, I had to check out the TV program. Later
another person told me his 3 year old daughter asked about Tanzania
after watching Dora. One thing led to another and I ended up writing an
article about Dora. I am currently working on another article about Map,
the only instance I know of a map being in two forms, a character and a
spatial representation.

I am interested to know if any other children TV programs teach any
geography. I have not looked systematically, but I suspect there is some
good geography offered there. Have you considered the videos and DVDs on
nature programs as part of your geography offerings? Libraries stock
these and some are quite popular.

Here is the information on my article.

Jim Carter

  *Dora the Explorer: Preschool Geographic Educator** *