From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:01:07 -0500
Subject:        Telling the Map Library Story in a Downturn
Date:   Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:48:43 -0500
From:   Youngblood, Dawn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

John's recent post -- RE: How many maps in your collection - recent acquisitions? got me to wondering: John,  in light of the economic situation, are you having to justify your existence?

All members of listserv:

I recently had a lunch conversation with a long time friend who co-heads a university press. She is already preparing materials to demonstrate how the press enhances the prestige of the university just in case the axe man cometh.  Since many outside our ranks do consider the map library non-essential, it may be prudent for us to have a conversation on this listserv regarding how we can make our case...

We could pose some questions for each other that would get us thinking about how to tell our story and make a defense.

For example, an administrator says:

Not many people use the map library anyway...

or faculty says

I can get all the maps I need through google...

How do we respond?

Dawn Youngblood
Curator, Edwin J. Fosuce Map Library
Southern Methodist University