From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:28:19 -0500
Subject:        New record needed in OCLC? New map cataloger
Date:   Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:00:00 -0500
From:   Linda K Ginn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, collective map wisdom. I am new to map cataloging and new to this
list. I was in a one-day class 21 months ago but am only now starting to
work with some maps. I have been reading Paige Andrew’s book, Cataloging
sheet maps : the basics, and am absorbing some good knowledge that way.

I have a stack of USGS quadrangle maps, 7.5 minute series (topographic).
Map in hand: Gulfport North quadrangle, Mississippi—Harrison Co. (7.5
minute…). Filing title at bottom right: Gulfport North, Miss. 1954. Of
two OCLC records produced via title search, one includes 1954 (245). The
record appeared to be the right one, with matching data such as
coordinates and what appeared at first to be small differences of the
type that seem not to justify a new record in OCLC.

· OCLC #213749776

· FF DtSt m and Dates 1900 9999 [seems that s 1954 would be right].

· 034/255 entries match.

· 245 entered under the series name (we are entering the sheet title
with series in |b); matching |c mapped by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey
; edited and published by the Geological Survey.

· 260 |c [19--]- [not the prominent 1954; perhaps the title entry under
series and the range of dates match up?]

Now I’m not sure I’m on the right track. I see specific bits of
information in the record that I don’t see on the map, and I don’t see
other data the bib record says should be there.

· 500 “Revisions shown in purple and woodland compiled from aerial
photographs taken 1981." [Can’t find this quoted statement anywhere]

· 500 Map edited and printed 1985. [can’t find this]

· 500 “DMA 3144 I NE – Series V843”

On the map in hand:

· Culture and drainage in part compiled from aerial photographs taken 1950

· Topography by planetable surveys 1951

· Field check 1954

· Hydrography compiled from USC&GS chart 876-877 (1954)

· USC&GS T-9376

· AMS 3144 I NE – Series V843

· Interior-Geological Survey. Washington, D.C.-1967 [in tiny print just
below the neat line, bottom right]

I was about to decide the map in hand predates the one in the record
based on the 5xx fields and was ready to derive a new record. I don’t
find support in OCLC input standards in 5xx for doing this, but it seems
misleading to attach our holdings symbol to a record that says it was
printed in 1985 and has quoted information about photos in 1981 when
this one doesn’t. That’s when I found the 1967 under the neat line.

Would you input a new record in these circumstances?

What does the 1967 line mean and how should it be entered/coded
(FFields, 260, etc.)?

Thanks for your help on these questions.