From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:35:51 -0500
Subject:        RE: Difference between a Bird's-eye View and a Pictorial
Relief Map
Date:   Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:29:34 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

I would like to add to what has already been said about these.

As regards pictorial relief maps, these can, and usually do, have a
specific horizontal scale. Some city maps will show selected buildings
pictorially. Some maps of mountain areas show mountains and other
features pictorially. It is usually possible to use a verbal or bar
graph scale to determine lengths and distances. Scale does not relate on
these maps to heights, of buildings or the other pictorial imagery. In
fact, they are often portrayed as bigger than the scale would suggest.

Bird's-eye views, on the other hand, are just as the name suggests. They
are *perspective* views, as if seen from above, but not as an aerial
view. It is a view at an oblique angle, from above. If you were in an
airplane, and looking down and out at an angle as from a window, you
would see this kind of view of the landscape. Things closer to you would
be larger, and things at more distance from you would seem smaller. They
are called bird's-eye views because they were created before the
airplane existed. Sometimes balloons were used, but as Joel said, they
are usually works of imagination, though done on site to create a view
of, say, New York, or Saint Louis, or another city.

They are different from "panoramic views", which portray a scene as
viewed from the ground, looking straight ahead, a horizontal view.
Skyline views are examples of these, and river front scenes. They, too,
are perspective views, not drawn to scale, with closer objects being
portrayed larger than more distant ones. The difference is in vantage point.

And they are different from aerial views, which are taken from a
vertical point of view, as looking straight down from a camera mounted
on an aircraft. They might or might not be done to scale, depending on
what if any work has been done to correct the image. This is one way in
which “remote-sensing images” (not corrected for scale) differ from
“remote-sensing maps” (which are corrected for scale).

Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Maps Librarian Phone: 513-529-1726

Miami University Libraries

Oxford, Ohio 45056 USA