From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:29:14 -0500
Subject:        Re: ALCTS webinar on RDA and Cartographic Materials
Date:   Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:26:04 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi Jim!

Thought I'd jump in here since I'm the one delivering the webinar in
late September ;-)

What I intend to deliver primarily is a look at the similarities and
differences in bib. record content/information between current AACR2
rules and rule interpretations and RDA. Yes, there'll be some background
on the FRBR model as it applies to cartographic materials too (that's
the shaky part for me I'll admit) but I am sensing that most catalogers
are wanting a specific look at "what's changing?" from what they are
used to. Naturally, I will assume that attendees have experience with
describing maps (I'll see about including atlases and even globes in
here but no promises...) using AACR2R and the /Cartographic Materials/
manual as well as OCLC's Connexion and their Bib. Input Standards.

I certainly don't want this to be only for/about map catalogers though I
think its obvious that those who do map cataloging part-time or full
time will get the most out of what I deliver. I hope this helps to
better inform a decision on your end Jim, and I certainly will not be
offended if the decision is a "no"....

Paige