From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:05:40 -0600
Subject: AMS maps
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:17:32 +0000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

Rob,

While Perry Castaneda have done a great job scanning many of these, and
making them available free, some of their scans are low-res (China L500
in particular from memory), and so these low-res ones are hard to read
onscreen, let alone if printed.

Also, not all (none?) of their series are complete (at sheet level, let
alone edition).
For this reason, the NLA decided to scan its AMS Indochina and New
Guinea series, because we have a number of editions/sheets that Perry
Castaneda does not.

In terms of international boundary and placename changes since the
1950s, these are a useful group of series.

They were replaced by the Joint Operations Graphic (JOG) world series in
the late 1960s, which are much prettier, but the AMS series represent a
snapshot of the Cold War world, and are out of copyright (due to date
and US govt production) so are happily scanned/xeroxed for patrons
(unlike the JOGs, many of which are produced by UK, Canada, Australian,
Thai, Turkish and other govts, and so are in copyright).

If you are thinking of dumping them, we'd be interested in acquiring
sheets/editions we don't have...

(PS a patron was specifically asking for these AMS series today!)

Brendan Whyte
National Library of Australia