From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:19:21 -0600
Subject:        Final GeoMAPP Documents posted to the Web
Date:   Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:00:33 +0000
From:   Bethune, Alec <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
CC:     Eubank, Kelly <[log in to unmask]>, Sewash, Joe <[log in to unmask]>

Happy 2012 Maps-L Listserv Members!

I wanted to give you the heads up that project work for theLibrary of
Congress sponsored, multistate GeoMAPP geoarchiving projectofficially
ended on December 31^st 2011. All of the final GeoMAPP whitepapers,
tools and reports have now been posted to the project’s website:
http://www.geomapp.net including the much anticipated publication of the
Final Report and Business Planning tool suite.

For a distilled view of the project’s findings I’d highly recommend
takinga few minutes to review the condensed Project /GeoMAPP Key
Findings and Best Practices
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/GeoMAPP_ProjectFindings_BestPractices20111231.pdf>

/document.

The new document list includes:

·/GeoMAPP Final Report: 2007-2011
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/GeoMAPP_FinalReport_final_20111231.pdf>/

·/GeoMAPP Key Findings and Best Practices
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/GeoMAPP_ProjectFindings_BestPractices20111231.pdf>/

·/Geoarchiving Business Planning Toolkit
<http://www.geomapp.net/publications_categories.htm#busplan>/

·/APPX-based Archives Enterprise Manager (AXAEM)
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/AXAEM_Review_final_20111231.pdf>/

·/Montana State Library Spatial Data Transfer Design
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/MSL_Data_Transfer_Design_final_20111231.pdf>/

·/GeoMAPP Storage Primer
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/GeoMAPP_Storage_Primer_final_20111231.pdf>/

·/Geoportal Toolkit Evaluation
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/Geoportal_Toolkit_Evaluation_final_20111231.pdf>/

·/National Inventory of Geospatial Records
<http://www.geomapp.net/docs/National_Inventory_of_Geospatial_data_final_20111231.pdf>/

In addition to these documents, the project also published a number of
other useful whitepapers pertaining to content packaging, archival
metadata and processing, geospatial formats, and data transfer over the
past several months that may be of use to this group. All of these
materials and other older GeoMAPP content can be found on the website
under the ‘Publications and Tools’
<http://www.geomapp.net/publications_categories.htm> page.

The GeoMAPP team will be working to disseminate this information across
various listservs in the coming days and we encourage you to share this
information with others that may find it useful within your
organizations and within other venues of interest.

Another important item of interest for this group: GeoMAPP is currently
working with its existing Informational Partners group to determine next
steps for this collection of practitioners interested in the
preservation of digital geospatial data. As part of this assessment,
part of the plan is make membership more open and inclusive. _If you
have an interest in being part of these future discussions, please email
me._ Likely forums for future discussions for this group will either be
part of the National Digital Stewardship Alliance
(http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/ndsa/ ) or continuing to meet on a
quarterly basis as an independent body. I will pass any next steps
information about the future Informational Partnership to anyone who is
interested.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the recently posted
documents or the project in general.

Enjoy!

Alec

**

*North Carolina Center for Geographic Information and Analysis***

*Office of the State Chief Information Officer*

*Phone: 919.754.6582*

**

*http://www.geomapp.net <http://www.geomapp.net/>*

*919.754.6000 ITS Service Desk*

*_http://www.its.nc.gov/_*

Opinions in this message might not represent the policies of this agency.

E-mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public
business, is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be
disclosed to third parties.

E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties
by an authorized state official.