From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:17:11 -0600
Subject: Re: Tool for lifting maps during refiling?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:29:29 -0800
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

 > my toenail (I was wearing sandals).  I am still recovering, and despite
 > calls from the campus safety department, the library has still not
 > replaced the ladder.  The workman's comp doctor they sent me to (I could
 > not go to my own doctor I was surprised to find out)

The workman's comp thing is actually fairly common.  Some states
(California is one) allow you to designate your own doctor as your
workplace doctor.  It's typically a form buried in the midst of a
hundred other forms your first day on the job.  (That's not especially
helpful if you just moved someplace and haven't found a doctor yet.)  It
might be worth a call to your HR to see who would handle your Workmens'
Comp if you get hurt at work.

 > How many drawers high do you stack your map cases? Do you have to use a
 > ladder to reach the higher ones? If so, does your ladder have a hand
 > rail?

We're 4 high (although we're moving to a space where it will be 2).  At
Oregon, we were 4 high in public areas and 5 high in storage.  And in
response to Carols:  the 5 high cases were supposed to be bolted to the
walls in case of earthquake, but I never successfully got that work
order through.  It's always low priority until someone gets hurt (and in
Dawn's case, it sounds like it sometimes stays low priority even after
someone gets hurt).

Both libraries have ladders with rails.  I will, I assume, eventually
fall off.

-j