From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:06:35 -0500
Subject:        Re: Acknowledgement for Maps made with GIS (Friday Discussion
Topic)
Date:   Fri, 22 Jul 2011 11:03:02 -0500
From:   Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

You probably need to credit copyrighted DATA provided by proprietary
sources (cf ESRI's note at
http://www.esri.com/legal/copyright-trademarks.html).

My understanding (and it is standard practice in groups I work with in
the commercial sector) that you do not need to credit the tools used to
manipulate this data, whether ESRI or Adobe or drafting table. All they
want is for you not to use pirated software!

Public sources vary in their data-use license—some require credit, some
do not. Check with individual sources, in the metadata if nowhere else.

Whether you need to credit sources for scholarly purposes is between
you, the standards-holders for your field and your publication outlet.

--
Nat Case, Head of Production
*HEDBERG MAPS, INC.*

hedbergmaps.com <http://www.hedbergmaps.com>