From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2011 17:16:42 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Krista Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:18:13 AM
Subject: Map call numbers

Hello,

I am currently in the process of assigning Library of Congress call numbers to a map collection and have come across a confusing issue regarding Russia versus the Soviet Union. Russia falls under the LC class range of G7060 - G7064, and the Soviet Union falls under the LC class range G7000 - G7004. At first, I thought that this was pretty straightforward. But I have come across a number of situations in which I don't know where to put certain maps. One example is with historical maps. Both LC classes have the same exact range of subheadings for historical maps (17th, 18th, 19th century, etc). So where, for example, would I put a map depicting the Crimean War? Under the Russian category for the Crimean War (G7061.S54) or under the Soviet Union category for the Crimean War (G7001.S54)?

Another issue that I have come across with this is where to put city maps. Would a city map of Moscow go under Russia or the Soviet Union? Because, after all, Moscow was Moscow in both Russia and the Soviet Union....

I guess the general question here is, does anyone know what properties of a map are used to make the distinction between maps that should be classified under Russia and maps that should be classified under the Soviet Union? I'd really appreciate any help that could give me!

Thank you!

--
Krista Anderson
Intern, Library and Information Services