From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:32:40 -0500
Subject: Re: Have Lithographic Print Nautical Charts Gone Down With the
              Ship?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:21:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Good catch Michael! That passage makes NO sense at all, to me its a
scapegoat statement. As Holly's blog notes, NOAA used to be under
Commerce until it was moved to be under FAA not long ago, so I wonder if
that has a direct impact on this decision, e.g., perhaps FAA's budget is
significantly smaller's than Commerce's and had NOAA stayed under
Commerce this decision might have at least been delayed, if not reached?

The one thing that crossed my mind as I read the blog and knowing that
moving forward this is not helpful to the needs of mariners on a
day-to-day basis, but the nautical charts we collectively hold in our
map collections and archives have just become that much more valuable!
 From a historical research context at least.

Once again, this decision is a severe case of shortsightedness in my
opinion.

Paige