From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 08:09:30 -0600
Subject:        Bartholomew Archive exhibition at the National Library of Scotland
Date:   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:23:54 -0000
From:   Williams, Paula <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

The National Library of Scotland is proud to present our winter/spring
exhibition, *Putting Scotland on the Map: The World of John Bartholomew
and Son. *This free exhibition is housed in our main George IV Bridge
building in Edinburgh and will run until the 7^th May 2013.

Using material from our Bartholomew Archive, this exhibition brings
Bartholomew’s Duncan Street premises back to life, as we explore how
Bartholomew produced their world renowned maps.

We follow the life of a map from the compilation of source material, to
hand-made engraving tools, to the bustle of the printing room floor.
Visitors will have the chance to meet one of Bartholomew’s most
influential characters, John George Bartholomew; to enter the upside
down and back to front world of the copperplate engravers and to view
some of the treasures of the John Bartholomew collection of rare and
antiquarian atlases, including the second ever printed map of North
America, Forlani’s /Il disegno del discoperto della noua Franza/ (1566).

Told though oral history recordings, photographs, hand-made tools and
some of the unique manuscript maps from the Bartholomew Archive, this is
the fascinating story of a firm who really did help to put Scotland on
the map.

----------

Karla Baker

Bartholomew Archive Curator

International Collections

National Library of Scotland

Telephone: 0131 623 3972

E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Internet: www.nls.uk <http://www.nls.uk/>

Bartholomew Archive blog: http://blogs.nls.uk/bartholomew/

The National Library of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity.
Scottish Charity No. SC011086

Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/natlibscot> and Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/NationalLibraryOfScotland>

National Library of Scotland, Scottish Charity, No: SCO11086

This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not
the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your
system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those
of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of National Library
of Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for
any harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.

www.nls.uk <http://www.nls.uk/>