From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 08:12:24 -0600
Subject:        Calling Special Collections Librarians Who Teach!
Date:   Tue, 18 Dec 2012 06:41:54 +0000
From:   Smedberg, Heather <[log in to unmask]>

(Please excuse any cross-postings.)

Calling all Special Collections Librarians, Archivists and Museum
Professionals Who Teach!

We seek submissions of innovative, hands-on classroom exercises
utilizing primary sourcesfor an upcoming Libraries Unlimited
publication. The forthcoming book will provide cultural heritage
professionals with adaptable, template-based class exercises - think of
these as recipes that can be reused as is, or customized for multiple
situations. We solicit your easy-to-adapt, creative exercises that
includes a title, 2-5 learning objectives, intended audience,
collections/materials/preparation required, description of the exercise
mechanics or activity, and any assessment you’ve done.  We seek your
submission by *MARCH 30, 2013.*

The exercises we want to include will teach lessons in "artifactual
literacy" and/or "archival intelligence." Artifactual literacy refers to
skills needed to interpret and analyze primary sources, including
concepts such as: evaluating authenticity, understanding historical
contextualization, identifying bias, understanding the physical object,
and deducing original audience and purpose. Archival intelligence refers
to skills needed to use archives and special collections, such as:
finding aid usage, understanding what kinds of materials are held in
archives and special collections, physical use and handling of
collections, and searching for primary sources.

Exercises making use of any source types are welcome, including rare
books, maps, manuscripts, ephemera, born digital, and even the unusual
types we know you are working with (video games, natural history
specimens, models, blueprints, comic books, graphic novels, LPs, floppy
disks and hard drives). The exercises may focus on teaching
undergraduates or graduate students, or may be geared toward public
outreach events, educating donors, our peers, and/or administrators. We
want your creative and inventive exercises for K-12 class visits as well.

Co-editors Anne Bahde (Oregon State University), Heather Smedberg (UC
San Diego), and Mattie Taormina (Stanford University) look forward to
receiving your submissions.Please submit your exercise via our webform
by *MARCH 30, 2013: *http://tinyurl.com/8h6dr6o

We know you're doing wonderful things with students, and this is a great
opportunity to share what you've been doing with colleagues around the
country.

Sincerely,

Anne Bahde ([log in to unmask])
Heather Smedberg([log in to unmask])
Mattie Taormina ([log in to unmask])

Co-Editors, Using Primary Sources: Hands-On Instructional Exercises,
Libraries Unlimited, to be published 2014