From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:04:54 -0600
Subject: RE: 2 records for 2 issues of same atlas?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 11:43:54 -0500
From: Redmond, Edward James <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

I am not a map cataloger nor do I have any knowledge of cataloging rules.
The only contribution I can make is a comparison with the LC copy:

Our copy of the 'Atlas of the Hudson River Valley' (F.W. Beers, 1891)
contains a total of 72 maps.

This number is comprised of 35 sequentially numbered plates showing
"sections" of the Hudson River Valley.  Each plate covers a 4x6 mile
swath, bisected by the Hudson River, from Jersey City / lower Manhattan
north to Troy, NY. Each of the 35 sections bears the scale statement
"1200 feet to the inch"

Regarding Newburgh, five (5) larger scale maps are located between
sections 15 and 16.  Each of these bear the scale statement "200 feet to
the inch". These maps are not reflected on the town index nor are they
included in the graphic index.

In addition to Newburgh, at least 30 additional maps published at "800
inches to the mile" are included in the atlas. These all appear to be
the larger urban areas along the river (i.e., do not cover both sides of
the river) and also do not correspond to the capitalized text in the in
the town index.

Our atlas was acquired before 1909
and, at some point in its life on our shelves, was rebound.

Ed