From:
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:05:57 -0600
Subject:        Re: 2 records for 2 issues of same atlas?
Date:   Fri, 21 Dec 2012 14:26:55 -0500
From:   Nancy Kandoian <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Silvana --

The New York Public Library Map Division also has 2 copies of Beers's
/Atlas of the Hudson River Valley/, and I have taken a closer look
thanks to your message.  Our copies were cataloged back in 1912, and as
a point of interest, though the practices then may not have relevance to
today's rules, they were cataloged on one record, with a printed note of
our holding "a second copy" and handwritten notes for "east shore" copy
and "west shore" copy.  Both copies have the index map and the basic 35
"section" "double plates."  Then each copy has different additional
plates.  One has additional plates numbered (not hand numbered, but
printed) "E1" through "E6" and the other has "W1" through "W6," each
detailing (mostly at the larger scale of 800 feet to the inch) developed
areas along the eastern shore and western shore of the river,
respectively.  (Actually, both copies have "W6" and "E6" which together
form a "double plate.")  The additional plates are bound in not
together, but distributed among the 35 other plates, sort of in
geographical order.  Our copies both look as if they were rebound at
some time in the distant past.  The title pages of both copies are the
same (save for pencilled notes for "W" and "East shore"), and there is
nothing mentioning the additional plates on the index map plate.  And
yet, from the looks of them, and from knowledge of differences between
our multiple copies of Beers's /Atlas of New York and Vicinity/, I would
guess that these copies were issued this way, as variant editions for
different groups of customers.

If cataloging according to AACR2, might you catalog them separately, and
use the option of rule 1.2B4 to supply an edition statement for each, if
you can sum up the differences in a brief phrase (like for us, perhaps,
[East shore ed.] and [West shore ed.]), with a note explaining the
differences in more detail?  Since we don't have a DCRM quite yet for
cartographic materials, I don't know if you'd want to anticipate it by
following DCRM(B) and not supplying an edition statement, and just
explaining the differences in notes in each record.  At the same time,
though I don't know what rule to cite, and the various documents about
when to create a new record seem to point to creating new records for
major changes in content (here, scale and physical description), I think
one could cite cataloger's judgment, consider uncertainty about how the
copies were issued, and consider these changes in content minor compared
to the overwhelmingly in-common aspects of the 2 items.  In that case,
making one record for both, with local notes explaining the differences
in the 2 copies, doesn't seem wrong.

Nancy Kandoian
NYPL Map Div.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Angie Cope, American Geographical