From:
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:19:19 -0600
Subject: iPad in Map Library (Becky's query)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:41:09 -0800
From: Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Becky -

I volunteer at a National Park library and am presently working on an
app that could well use an iPad to access a local wireless network.
By local, I mean inside the library, without external, out to the
world, internet access.  Instead of having sheets and sheets of green
bar paper to support shelf reading, I've written an app in PHP that we
access using individuals' 3G and 4G phones in wireless mode through a
local wireless network which also has a very small web server to
provide a home for the database containing the shelflist.

The web server delivers a mobile-screen sized display containing the
call number including all the access control information such as
Reference and Restricted collection, plus copy number and edition
number (top left corner), author(s), title, and acquisition number.
Then, the app has four different buttons: onshelf, checked out,
missing, other; for onshelf, it registers the tap and then moves on to
the next item; for checked out, the name of the person who has it
checked out is added and, if permanently checked out PERM is added to
a special location field; if missing is tapped, MISSING is added to a
special field and at the end of the process, a printout is generated
so the staff can try to find the item; if other is tapped, the
shelfreader has the opportunity to add comments to a special field for
that purpose.

As I say, there's absolutely no reason an iPad couldn't be used for
that purpose.  From my perspective, it's a whole lot easier than
hauling 25 or 30 pounds of green bar around!  ;~)  And, if your map
library has access to an existing wireless network, you could have the
webserver anyplace on that network.  It doesn't have to be in the
physical library building.

Another task the iPad might be particularly useful for in a map
library is managing serial maps; I'm thinking of things like US topo
sheets for the physical sheets you may have or of mixed physical and
digital sheets.

Hope this helps.

virginia
Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Broke my left elbow while taking pictures on my way home
from SD, typing 1-handed, please excuse typos; with slight
reprieves, in a sling until the end of February!  ;~(
Email:  [log in to unmask]
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.jpg
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58' 5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 6' 59.9" 122W 59' 54.2"