From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 1994 14:47:24 EST
Two messages concerning the British postal code question.-------Johnnie

      A M Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: British postal codes
      Tue, 1 Feb 94 10:55:08 GMT

Hello Sue.   There are British post code directories but they are quite
numerous.   Your area of post code area of ML is Motherwell and Rigside
is an area of the town of Lanark.  You give the postcode as MX11 9LX.
The last bit 9LX locates the street.   The address is probably 2 Muirfoot Road,
Rigside, LANARK 11 9LX, Scotland.  9LX is probably about 8 houses.
There is a number you can call - International number for GB and then
0345-111-222.   Hope this helps.   Ann Sutherland, Map Libarian,Edinburgh
 University Library
 rsity Library, 43 George Square, Edinburgh EH8 9LJ, Scotland

> Hello,
> Can anyone tell me of a reference source for British
> postal codes? Problem:  I have a mostly-illegible address
> in the village of Rigside, Lanarkshire.  Can't quite
> make out the street number (might be 2M Wirfoot Rd.?)
> Anyway, the postal code looks like ML11 9LX.  Could that
> be correct?  What we have to send to this individual is
> sufficiently valuable that I would not want it to be
> lost.
> Thanks.
>
> Sue Haffner, CSU Fresno, Map Library

      [log in to unmask] (Iain Taylor)
         Re: British postal codes
      Tue, 1 Feb 1994 08:42:54 -0500 (EST)

It may be close.
the 2M could be 2A
they add suffixes whne new places were added.
the post codes are not always the same no. of nos. and letters.
the ML is probably Midlothian in real life.
If you must be sure call the commercial secretary British Embassy.

Hope this helps.