From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 10:00:35 EST
Paige, Jim, and Map Catalogers:  If the Rickert Company can do map cataloging
cheaper, at the same quality level of course, why do I now need a expensive
map cataloger that spends most of his time in committee meetings and acting
like a faculty member????  Outsource the map cataloging and then I will have
more time for committee meetings!  I will stop poking at the local map
cataloger and ask a serious question.  The economics of cataloging is such that
a cataloged map cost the UGA Map Collection over $20.00 a record the last time
I did a study.  I do think there is a point for any Map Room where you might
want to consider outsourceing.  Anyone else have any ideas on this???

Johnnie Sutherland
Curator of Maps
University of Georgia Libraries
JSUTHERL@UGA