From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 16:28:00 EST
Paige, Jim, Johnny, and Map Catalogers:
     This is a fate which, I believe, is faced by catalogers of ALL types of
materials, with a possible exception of Rare Materials.  It is one of the
main reasons my involvement is with computer systems and not with maps --
"they ain't no work out here nowhere what I can get".
     A word of caution regarding the retrospective conversion.  Without piece
in hand, the accuracy of retrospective conversion depends on the quality of
the information you send them.  Be sure you define carefully the acceptable
error rate.  And find out what happens to those things they can't identify.
It seems many companies deal with the part of the collection which is fastest
(i.e. easiest) to convert.  BUT you are left with the hard part (i.e. slow
and expensive).  A study I did about a year and a half ago showed that our
in-house conversion rate (taking into account all factors including computer
down-time) was a little less than 3 records an hour.  An expensive process,
outsourcing might be a good option if you don't have to spend too much of
your time preparing the info.  If you get a quote, consider your investment
of that time in your cost evaluation.  That is a very real but ususally
ignored cost.
     Or are you handing your collection over to them and they return it.
Oooohhh!  Shudders!

Debra Lords
Former Head of Maps Retrospective Conversion Project
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City,  UT  84112