From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 16:24:01 EDT
Two messages concerning the Languages Atlas.--------Johnnie

      christopher winters <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Languages Atlas

The whole atlas--not just the American portion--was
underedited to a remarkable degree (or so a couple of
linguistically minded anthropologists have demonstrated
here). For example, every regional contributor spelled
ethnic names as he or she preferred, so that names for the
same languages appear with different spellings on different
maps (not to mention different colors). No authority list
ruled indexing, so _all_ the different forms of the names
are listed in the index. This is not even to mention the
cartographic oddity of having maps of neighboring areas on
facing pages aligned at 90 or 180 degree angles to each
other!

In other words, the _Atlas of the World's Languages_ seems
more like a good rough draft than a finished product. This
has not of course prevented us from buying a copy.

Chris Winters
University of Chicago Library

Bitnet:          uclwint@uchimvs1
Internet:        [log in to unmask]

         Re: Languages Atlas
      Tue, 26 Apr 94 13:12:25 -0700

Yes, Johnnie, please do get in touch (again) with
Routledge re this atlas.  Our copy just showed up
and I've put printouts (from that superb listserv, MAPS-L)
on problems in pocket in front - would like to have
as much info as possible for users.
Mary larsgaard, UCSB