From:
Mark Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 1994 08:20:18 EDT
We have used a Ditzgen copier for many years (4-5?) and found it far
superior to our first map copier--a Xerox.  We would definitely buy another
Ditzgen.  I must say that the Xerox seemed to be a smaller, cheaper model
(no auto feed, giant paper tray, paper catcher, etc.) designed for less use
and abuse than we put it through.  The Ditzgen takes up about four times the
space of the old Xerox, but it has the paper tray sticking out the rear.

    One drawback for any of these monsters is the time they take to
warm up (and the large amount of heat they generate).  You don't want to
constantly turn something on and off when it takes 5 minutes to warm up--but
leave it on and you have an efficient space heater for those Winter months!

You will need a maintenance
contract; I don't know the annual rate on ours, but it probably depends on
usage.  We average maybe four maintenance calls a year (ours is used
heavily).  Make sure the contract covers routine cleaning, part replacement,
and breakdown calls.  You might also contact your local drafting supply
shops for paper costs and to set up an account.

I assume you are considering only black & white--not color?  Large format
color copiers are available--for about $50,000 each, last time I looked!
Our Canon model seems very reliable, but expensive to operate.

Happy budgeting,
Mark Johnson