From:
Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 1994 17:11:54 EST
This message is being posted to Maps-L and Autocat.

I am currently trying to catalog a map entitled Pacific Northwest: Oregon,
Washington, Idaho.  The following statements appear on the item.

"... issued by The Pacific Northwest Immigration Board ..."
"prepared by C.H. Crocker, H.R. Lewis, Manager, Portland, Oregon."
"copyright 1896, by the Matthews-Northrup Co., Buffalo, N.Y."

My problem is to determine the publisher and the main entry. I know that
Matthews-Northrup was apparently a big map publisher, as I have cataloged
other maps published by them. On some records they appear as the main
entry. I have a copy of one book record with "Portland, Or: Press of Charles
Crocker" given as the printer.  I'm assuming that the copyright statement
indicates that Matthews-Northrup is the publisher. I want to be as sure as
possible, however, since the Archives collection where this map will
reside gives special treatment in catalog records to publications of
Pacific Northwest publishers.  Deciding on the main entry seems to be
more of a problem. "Prepared by C.H. Crocker" seems to indicate that
Crocker's company actually authored the map for distribution by the
Immigration Board.  Is this the most logical assumption?

Mark Crotteau
Washington State University