Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:20:22 EDT

Dear All,

Another of my periodic announcements about developments here.

For anyone interested in the history of cartography you might be interested
to know that almost the entire Bartholomew archive has now been transferred
a few hundred metres up the road to the National Library of Scotland.
This comprises a collection of historic maps and atlases from the 19th and
early 20th centuries, the remaining company documents not already held by the
National Library (all sorts of things from the accounts to the production
records and even John Bartholomew Junior's wife's British Naturalisation
papers), and finally over 1000 of the original copper and steel engraver's
plates. These are not just of maps, but included all sorts of work done by
the company such as for prints of old master paintings, illustrations for
'Treasure Island' by R.L. Stevenson, cabin location diagrams for Trans-
Atlantic liners, etc. All in all a lot of fascinating stuff for those
with an interest in such things. As the Bartholomew family were
compulsive hoarders it is also a fairly full record of the first 150
years or so of what has been (and hopefully will still be) one of the
world's leading cartographic companies.

It is sad to see it all go, but unfortunately the new offices that we
are moving to in Glasgow do not have space to keep this sort of material.

Hopefully soon after our move to Glasgow in mid-October we will be able to
get a full Internet connection and can get a WWW site set up with online
catalogue, samples of products and digital data, etc. I will let you all
know as this develops.

Now a couple of reminders:

1 For those in Europe at Universities or other academic institutions, don't
forget that you can aquire the Bartholomew data sets very cheaply through the
CHEST educational software programme - enquiries to [log in to unmask]

2 Version 1.2 (a minor revision to keep the information up to date) of the
Times World Map & Database for IBM PC will be shipping shortly. Version 2.0
(lots and lots of goodies) will be published in Spring 1996. Existing users
will get a big discount.

3 I am happy to deal with any enquiries and pass them on. If you would like
any catalogues, etc just let me know.

4 Some of you have asked for the free sample copy of GB Maps on CD-ROM (Great
Britain maps for use with Arcview, Mapinfo, Atlas*GIS and CAD). Anyone
else interested in this just let me know.

Thank you for your time,

Tim Rideout
Bartholomew - HarperCollins Cartographic
12 Duncan Street,
Edinburgh, EH9 1TA,
Scotland, Europe.
email: [log in to unmask]