From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 10:07:04 EDT
Two messages.------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Phil Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: new subscriber

Why go to the trouble of putting labels on maps?  Why not just pencil on
the call number?

Phil Hoehn
Earth Sciences & Map Library
University of California,a Berkeley

On Wed, 13 Sep 1995, Annette Vigil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new on the list, and also new to the area of map librarianship.  How
> do some of you veterans feel about applying labels (with call #) directly
> onto maps to be shelved in flat steel file drawers? Are there problems
> with the labels drying up and falling off?  Does the thickness of the
> label have a cumulative effect when stacking?  Thanks for your input.
>
> **********************************
> Annette D. Vigil, Librarian
> Phoenix Public Library
> (602)534-0596 voice
> (602)261-8751 fax
> **********************************

>From: "Judith Scurfield" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:          Thu, 14 Sep 1995 17:04:36 +1000
>Subject:       Re: new subscriber

Annette,

Welcome.

You should never actually stick the labels
onto the maps. Here at the State Library of
Victoria, Melbourne, Australia, we pencil the
call# on the bottom righthand corner of the map.
We also bag our maps in bags made of
poly-ethylene which we have made to various
sizes the label with the call# is then stuck
onto the bag. This makes it easier to 'drag'
the maps out of the drawer and means the public
don't have to wear cotton gloves when looking at
our more precious maps.

Sets of maps like your US Geol 1/4 sheets we
simply  pencil as described and keep in the
drawers in order, and pray that they don't get
damaged!

Estelle

Acting Map Librarian
@ the above address.