From:
"Edward M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward M. Taylor
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 19:09:25 EDT

Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum:

Reference Dr. Marble email which follows.

Yes, we did forget to address the follow-on question in our run-down of
the GEOname Digital Gazetteer and its data: "What about maintenance of
the data?'

The source database is maintained by the Government on a day-to-day basis.
We purchased one snapshot of the data in February 1995 to build this
initial product.  At approximately annual intervals, we will obtain a then
current copy of the data and release a new version of the CD.  The later
CDs will include upgraded data query, display, and export software.

We sell the subsequent annual updates at a considerably reduced price,
after purchase of an initial CD.  Our goal is to provide a long term
subscription-like service for users who need reasonably current data.
(The data would be approximately as current as the US Government
maintains for its own use.)

There is nothing to preclude someone from buying one copy every few years.
In either case, a user would be better off with GEOname than using the
hardcopy gazetteers, some of which date back forty years.

Dr. Marble's additional comment concerns us.  We have no desire to hide
important information about the data and its source.  Because of Federal
law, we do not imply or attempt to convey in any manner that either the US
Secretary of Defense or the Defense Mapping Agency indorses this product.
Our marketing literature therefore states only that the data is from a US
Government database used for world-wide (non-US) mapping and charting.

We were at a number of meetings this year demonstrating GEOname.  At those
meetings we had contact with many interested individuals.  "Don't you
trust us?" may have been said in jest by one of us as the initial response
to a question.  Such words would not have been intended as the complete
explanation which should have been immediately forth-coming.  We apologize
to Dr. Marble and anyone else who may have felt similarly cut short.

Thank you for the opportunity to clear up these details.

Sincerely,

Ed Taylor
GEOname Products, GDE Systems, Inc., (MZ 6100-J)
PO Box 509008, San Diego, CA 92150-9008, USA
Phone: 1-619-592-5870     Fax: 1-619-592-5320
email:  [log in to unmask]
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com/IIS/Slipsheets/GEONAME.html