From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 17:22:01 EST
2 messages-------------------------------------Johnnie

>From: "B.A.Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cataloging Maps by Coordinates
>Date: 20 Feb 1996 12:24:49 -0500

In <[log in to unmask]>, John Fieber wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Plumart, Larry wrote:

Following on from Peter Clark's response:
The civilian version of the UK Military Survey system is CARTONET. It
is currently available in Digital VAX-VMS and PC versions using the
Oracle Relational Database Management System, but other versions are
planned. Catalogue data can be retrieved or loaded in MARC format, if
required. Additional database fields are available and all are
searchable, in any combination with the graphic front end.
This incorporates World Databank II and allows the user to search by
coordinates for maps, any part of which may fall within a given radius
of a point or within a specified rectangle.  Further details from
[log in to unmask] (CARTONET and UK Military system developer)

>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:13:03 +0100
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject:  Cataloging Maps by Coordinates (A)

Larry,

The UK Military Survey in Tolworth has catalogued its one million
plus maps in a programme called MODMAP, which are retrievable by
coordinates and which can produce index-sheets on demand
(map-series, theme, scale etc. of particular regions). It is
built on CARTONET, in the past researched by Manchester
University.

Contact either P.J. Parkinson or Michael Ashworth at

Military Survey
Directorate of Geographic Information
Block A, Government Buildings
Hook Rise South, Tolworth, Surbiton, Surrey, KT6 7NB
United Kingdom

We ourselves have processed coordinates with some 53,000
catalogued maps. However we lack yet a graphic interface to use
them. Besides they have to be converted to vector-coordinates.

Jan Smits
Map Curator Royal Library, National Library of The Netherlands