From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 16:18:05 EST
2 messages.--------------------------Johnnie

>From: Marianne McKee <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cart for transporting maps?
>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 9:07:38 EST

The article "Moving Maps at the Virginia State Library and
Archives" (Special Libraries Association Geography and Map
Division _Bulletin_, No. 168, June 1992) includes a plan for a
vehicle which has helped us here in Archives Research Services
at The Library of Virginia.  We had similar problems moving
maps from one area of the building to another, and
several of us devised a plan for a map cart, working with a local
vendor.  We had two carts built.  They move the maps well and
also serve as an excellent working surface.

Marianne M. McKee
Research Archivist
The Library of Virginia
11th Street at Capitol Square
Richmond VA  23219
Tel: 804/786-2306

>Date: Fri, 23 Feb 96 09:14:49 CST
>From: "Gerry STREY" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Map cart

My map cart, which has served me and other map librarians at the State
HIstorical Society of Wisconsin very well for many years is a very old and
slightly more massive than average book truck with a 30"x42" piece of strong
plywood securely screwed to the top.  The corners have been rounded off for
safety.  The shelves make it useful for moving atlases as well.

Gerry Strey