From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:17:19 EST
This message is from Allyn Fitzgerald.--------------------------Johnnie

>From: Allyn Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ARL Releases New GIS Publication
>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:49:34 -0500 (EST)

March 1997

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For further information please contact Laura Rounds, OMS Program Officer
for Information Services <[log in to unmask]>.

Transforming Libraries 2: Issues and Innovations in Geographic
Information Systems

The ARL Office of Management Services (OMS) Systems and Procedures
Exchange Center has released the second issue of its new publication
series, Transforming Libraries.  This series focuses on how libraries
are using technology to transform library services and operations and
each issue addresses how institutions and individuals are pioneering in
a particular subject area.  The second issue of Transforming Libraries
is entitled Issues & Innovations in Geographic Information Systems.

The power of GIS is in adding a graphic, spatial dimension to problem
solving.  On the simplest level, it can make an undergraduate9s term
paper more persuasive.  On a larger scale, it has been used to make key
decisions in environmental planning, as well as in designing
multi-million dollar national marketing campaigns.

Unlike other ARL/OMS publications, Transforming Libraries takes a
reportorial approach to its topics, seeking out libraries that are
trying new applications of technology and highlighting their experiences
while they are still innovative.  The Systems and Procedures Exchange
Center (SPEC) also offers a web-based resource center
<http://arl.cni.org/transform/ index.html> to accompany each issue of
Transforming Libraries.  This important feature allows for easy
updating, links to related sites, and continued learning on each topic.
Both print and electronic versions are designed to work in tandem to
provide as much current information as possible about each subject.

In addition to an examination of 20 different GIS projects currently in
place and future developments in GIS services, Issues & Innovations in
GIS also includes:
CRITICAL CHOICES: KEY QUESTIONS FOR PLANNERS
What Kind of Service Should We Provide?
How Will Collections Be Built?
Who Will Staff the GIS-based Services?
How Will We Learn-and Educate Others-About GIS?
With Whom Will We Collaborate?
How and Where Will We Store Data?
What Will It Cost?

ORDERING INFORMATION
Transforming Libraries:  Issues & Innovations in Geographic Information Systems
40pp
$28
ISSN 0160-3582
<http://arl.cni.org/transform/index.html>

PAYMENT:
Prepayment is required (ARL members may be
billed).  Payment may be made by check, Visa, or
Mastercard and must accompany order form.  Send
completed form and payment to:
                ARL Publications - I&I
                Department #0692
                Washington, DC  20073-0692

Make check or money order payable in US
funds to:
ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH LIBRARIES
Federal ID #52-0784198-N

Purchase order #
Credit card             MC                      Visa            Exp. date
Acct #
Acct holder
Signature

SHIPPING & HANDLING: (per publication)
U.S. & Canada UPS Ground                  $6
International Orders                      $12

TOTAL QUANTITY:
TOTAL PRICE:
SHIP TO: (UPS will not deliver to P.O. boxes)
Name
Address

Phone
Fax
Email

Transforming Libraries is a sub-series of SPEC and is included as part
of the SPEC Kit subscription.

--
Allyn Fitzgerald
Marketing and Production Coordinator