From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:59:49 EST
This message was sent to the list by Brad Green.--------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:45:43 -0500 (EST)
>From: Brad Green <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 5 new maps reviewed: Sierra Leone, Namibia, Botswana, Falkland
  islands, Suriname

Here are a selection of 5 new international maps reviewed and described. The
reviews are stored as usual at our web site www.worldofmaps.com

Sierra Leone
Published by: ITMB Publishing
1st edition 1997
ISBN 0921463715
Price CDN$ 10.95
Scale 1: 560,000
31" x 27"
Cartography Torsten Claussen, adapted by Sojourn Cartographic to ITMB
specifications
Printed on one side full colour, no index=7F
Transverse Mercator Projection
Legend in English, French, German

As with the other maps in the growing series of individual African country
maps published by ITMB and Sojourn Cartographic this new country map of
Sierra Leone is clear and attractive.
Pastel colours in shades of greens, yellows and browns are used in the
standard hypsometric fashion to illustrate elevation. The clear red symbols
show features like airports, campsites and gasoline stations. As with the
other maps in this series there is a good deal of text on the maps border
areas with history, geography, economy and a depition of the countries flag.

Namibia
Published by: ITMB Publishing
1st edition 1997
ISBN 092146360X
Price CDN$ 10.95
Scale 1:2,000,000
27" x 39"
Cartography by Sojourn Cartographic Services
Printed on one side in full colour, no index
Modified Lambert Conformal Conic Projection
Legend in English

This colourful map of Namibia shows a good deal of detail with hypsometric
colour tints and spot elevations. There is an inset streetmap of Windhoek
and another of Swakopmund. As with the other map in this series there is a
good deal of text data as well including the country flag, history,
geography, wildlife and economy.

Botswana
Published by ITMB Publishing
1st edition 1997
ISBN 0921463855
Price CDN$ 10.95
Scale 1:1,500,000
39" x 27"
Cartography by Sojourn Cartographic
Printed on one side in full colour, no index
Modified Lambert Conformal Conic Projection

This map of Botswana includes an inset of Central Gaborone, a useful
distance chart on the main roads and hyspsometric tints of pastel colours to
show elevations. As with the other maps the use of clear symbols and a good
deal of text background located together with the flag of the country rounds
of this attractive and informative map.

Falkland Islands ( Islas Malvinas)
Published by ITMB Publishing
1st edition 1997
ISBN 092146391X
Price CDN$ 10.95
Scale 1: 300,000
39" x 22"
Cartography by Multimapping ltd.
Printed in full colour on one side, no index
UTM grid zone 21F

This map of the Falkland Islands includes a small inset map of Stanley and
features hypsometric colour tints to show elevations. There are anecdotes
referring to the local history, wildlife and battle sites from the Falkland
conflict of 1982. The contour lines seem jagged however and the overall
impression of the map is that it appears somewhat rough and unpolished in
terms of graphical appearance especially when compared to the African series
maps that ITM produces. Nevertheless this is an interesting map to add to
the collection of maps of Great Britain and Argentina (?) or Atlantic
islands as the case may be.

Suriname map 'with streets of Paramaribo'
Published by Hebri in Landsmeer, Netherlands
1995 edition
ISBN 908021226
Price CDN$ 24.95
Scale 1:1,100,000
19" x 26"
Cartography by Hebri
Printed on two sides in colour, indexed
laminated version only available (folded)
Map is in the Dutch language only

This map of Suriname shows a simple country map of Suriname on the one side
and an indexed street map of Paramaribo on the reverse. A simple clear map
it shows the transportation network of roads and railway. There is an inset
of districts and their names as well as information on climate, geography
and population. The indexed street map of Paramaribo at 1:13,500 shows
hotels, pensions and restaurants. There is another inset map of Blauwgrond
and yet another of the greater Paramaribo area. This is the only general map
of Suriname that I have have been able to obtain. It was acquired in the
Netherlands while attending the International Map Trade Show in Amsterdam on
February 14 & 15th 1997.
=20
              =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D WORLD OF MAPS =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
                    118 Holland Ave. Ottawa,ON, Canada, K1Y 0X6=20
       Thousands of maps, atlases, travel books, satellite posters
 Telephone (613) 724-6776   Fax (613) 724-7776 or 1-800-897-9969
  http://www.worldofmaps.com/  or email: [log in to unmask]