From:
"L. A. Nadybal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 10:30:52 EDT
I don't know about the intention of Bartholemew with respect to Persian vs.
Arabian gulf, but it might be totally innbocent.  We English speakers are
not alone with dual names.

   1.  The Germans have editions of various maps simultaneously produced
showing the "Pazific Ozean" as "Stiller Ozean".   Many European countries
have multiples editions of maps showing the "Baltic" as the "Ostsee".  Both
politically benign to be sure.

   2.  Old maps of the English in India show portions of Cooch Behar and
parts of Assam as "British Bhutan", which certainly had politicial
ramifications in the 1800s amoung the rulers of the local protectorates.

This stuff isn't work expanding to a fist fight.  Do as the courts often do
to avoid establishing precedents - agree to not pursue it.  Neither "Persia"
or "Arabia" is the full name of any surrounding country, so neither moniker
should create as sovereignty claim issue from any one side.

Regards

Len Nadybal

>A small disagreement has developed among a few persons here at my
>institution (it's not nasty..yet).  I have given some information and an
>'informed' opinion about the names "Persian Gulf " and "Arabian Gulf", but I
>believe a greater body of learned opinion exists on MAPS-L which can provide
>some mediation in this situation. (They did not like the idea of calling the
>area "The Gulf")
>
>You may be interested to know that one producer of maps ( John Bartholomew &
>Son) labeled the water body "Persian Gulf" on a 1977 map of Iran, and then
>"Arabian Gulf" on a map titled "Arabian Gulf ", also 1977, which focused on
>the Gulf States. I would gather that this is an indication of the 'politics
>of maps', but I would be interested to know if this was done to avoid
>upsetting users of the Iran map and users of the map showing Arab Gulf States.
>
>We, like many libraries, have instituted policies to deal with concerns
>about the materials collected in our library.  However, the persons who
>created the policies had not imagined that maps would become an issue (I
>tried to warn them :-))
>

>By the way, some dictionaries/gazetteers use Perisan - see Arabian, others
>use Arabian - see Persian.  (The 1984 Websters Geographical Dictionary
>states Arabian Gulf - see Perisan Gulf, and then proceeds to say either can
>be used.)(Chambers World Gazetteer states Persian Gulf -see Arabian)
>
>Hmmm??  How's that for a friday morning question ?!
>
>Cheers
>James
>

>James Boxall (Map Curator)
>Map Collection, Science Services
>Killam Library, Dalhousie University
>Halifax, Nova Scotia
>Canada    B3H 4M8
>(t) 902-494-3757
>(f) 902-494-2062
>(e) [log in to unmask]
>
>http://www.library.dal.ca/~science/mapcoll.html
>"What in observation is loose and vague
>is in information deceptive and treacherous"
>Francis Bacon, 1621

L. [log in to unmask]