From:
Ed Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 16:46:43 EDT
The US Board on Geographic Names gazetteers show the "Persian Gulf" as the
"approved" name form. "Arabian Gulf" is shown as a variant
cross-referenced to Persian Gulf.

However, this is US policy, which does not apply to Canada, etc.  However,
there is a Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographic Names which may have
a policy on Canadian official use of the name.  The CPCGN is the
counterpart to the US BGN and British Permanent Committee on Geographic
Names.

Check at:  www-nais.ccm.emr.ca/cgndb/english/cpcgn.html

Ed Taylor
GEOname Digital Gazetteer, GDE Systems, Inc.
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com/IIS/Slipsheets/GEONAME.html