From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:18:28 EST
2 messages------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 10:15:09 -0800 (PST)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: RAC LAKE/ANSEL ADAMS PHOTO

Kathleen,

My guess is that the lake is actually "Rae Lake", one of the most
photographed lakes in the Kings Canyon Natl. Park high country. If it's a
beautiful alpine lake amid glaciated granite, that's most likely it.
Adams visited and photgraphed it many times.

regards,

Doug

On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Kathleen M Spencer wrote:

> A student is looking for the location of a lake named Rac Lake that was
> photographed by Ansel Adams for the mural project 1940-41.  I have tried
> several gazetteers and atlases and have not found this lake.  Is anyone
> out there familiar with either the image or the lake?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kathy Spencer
> Geology Library - UND
> P.O. BOX 8358
> Grand Forks, ND 58202

-------------------------------------
Douglas Smith
Map Librarian
Oakland Public Library
125-14th Street
Oakland, CA  94612
voice: 510/238-3136
email: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 08:34:04 -0700
>From: [log in to unmask] (Bill Larson)
>Subject: Re: RAC LAKE/ANSEL ADAMS PHOTO

One source for geographic names is with the USGS:

check this location:

http://www-nmd.usgs.gov/www/gnis/