From:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 14:46:29 EST
Steve, I remember this question coming up on the list some time ago, and
vaguely remember that their really isn't anybody out there that manufactures
a "standard" book truck-type cart for maps. However, when I first arrived
here at Penn State just over a year ago the Tech. Services folk were in the
midst of contracting with a company locally to have one or more map trucks
built to our specifications. We are the proud owners of five such beasts!

If you would like I could find out more details as to who built the trucks,
their overall dimensions, etc. I can tell you that they look similar to a
regular metal book truck, only much wider with five flat shelves (including
the top) and a bottom shelf which is concave in shape for keeping rolled
maps from rolling off the truck. Its a bit unwieldy to move around but we
have gotten used to it. Since the Cat Dept. here is on the fifth floor and
the Maps Room is on the second floor, these have come in quite handy when
needing to move a large quantity of maps between the two floors.

Let me know if you would like further info.

Paige

>Here's the nitty-gritty map question of the day...
>
>Can anyone recommend a specific brand of cart for transporting maps around
>the library? (In other words, a book truck for maps?)
>
>I've checked the standard library equipment catalogs and have come up with a
>couple of possibilities:
>
>     1. a Rubbermaid Utility Cart (24" X 36")
>     2. a Steel Service Cart (also 24" X 36")
>
>Is there a better product for carrying maps around the library?
>
>Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.
>
>Steve Rogers
>Map Room
>Ohio State University Libraries

Mr. Paige G. Andrew