From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:46:14 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:27:41 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Eclipse maps exhibition No.2
Sender: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>

>From last Monday 2 August the Map Room of the Royal Geographical Society
(with the Institute of British Geographers) has an exhibition, too, of maps
showing the paths of the total solar eclipse over England & Wales.  These
are contemporary maps of the Ordnance Survey for the eclipses of 15 March
1858, 29 June 1927, and of 11 August 1999.  Thus, our exhibition
concentrates on the national mapping organisation's products of the
nineteenth and twentieth centuries, and - fortuitously - acts as a
continuation of those of the 18th century in the British Library Map
Library's exhibition announced by April Carlucci.

The maps (with other related material) may be viewed in the Society's House
Monday to Friday, 10.00-17.00 hours, until the end of September 1999.
Visitors from abroad (including Martians and other ETs) should remember that
Monday 30 August is a Bank Holiday (i.e. public holiday) in the United
Kingdom, and we shall be closed that day.

Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
--- End Forwarded Message ---