From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:49:24 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 10:19:23 -0500
From: Jane Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Jakarta meridian
Sender: Jane Carlson <[log in to unmask]>

Hi,

I need experts to help me answer this question for a professor doing research.
It's a very complex question involving references to monkey fossils in
Southeast Asia.  Earlier documentation gives longitude based, apparently,
on the Jakarta meridian rather than on Greenwich.  Can anyone tell us PRECISELY
the longitude (based on Greenwich) that might have been designated as a
"Jakarta prime meridian"?  If anyone is willing to tackle this question,
I'll forward the professor's detailed inquiry to you.  The calculations he's
done based on the Jakarta longitude as given in standard sources do not quite
correlate with the locations given in previous documentation of the fossil
locations.  I'm way over my head on this one.  Any answers, advice, or offers
of help will be greatly appreciated!

Jane M. Carlson
Map Collection Assistant
University of Iowa Libraries