From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:39:27 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:08:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: DISCONTINUED!!
Sender: Thiry <[log in to unmask]>

According to the August 31, 1999 "Administrative Notes Technical
Supplement" by GPO, the following items have been "discontinued by
publisher.  Cancel class and item no."  Things in brackets are my
comments.

I 19.1/2:       USGS Yearbook
I 19.73:        Outer Continental Shelf Stands GSS-OCC (series)--[map set]
I 19.77:        APSRS Aerial Photography Summary [now on CD-ROM]
I 19.81/2:      All of the 1:50,000 series [AMS/DMA/NIMA maps]
I 19.85:        Coal Investigations ["C" series thematic maps]
I 19.86:        Geologic Map Index of (various states) [White books--none
have been produced since the mid 80's]
I 19.87:        GP Geophysical Investigations ["GP" series thematic maps]
I 19.88:        Geologic Quadrangle Maps-GQ ["GQ" series thematic maps]
I 19.90:        Mineral Investigations Resource Maps-MR ["MR" series
thematic maps]
I 19.92:        Oil and Gas Investigations Charts-OC ["OC" series thematic
maps]
I 19.93:        Oil and Gas Investigations Maps-OM ["OM" series thematic
maps]
I 19.109:       Slope maps
I 19.112:       Land Use and Land Cover and Associated Maps
I 19:124/1-49   Digital Orthophotoquads for all states

I was aware that the C, OM, OC, GP, MR, and GQ series were going to be
canceled.  That leaves only the MF and I series maps.  I also have heard
that there will be a dramatic drop in the number of Open-file Reports from
USGS.  It seems that the Survey is trying to get people to publish "real"
maps, as opposed to blue line items.

The canceling of the 1:50,000 series is sad.  While the maps have been
issued irregularly over the past few years, I found them useful.

The Land Use maps haven't been updated since the mid 70's.

The Geologic Indexes are highly useful, but out of date.  This program was
slashed in the mid 80's.

The orthophotoquads?  Well, since we have only received one CD of
Colorado, I am not going to be too upset or disappointed.

Happy Friday!

--Christopher JJ Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines