From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 15:14:55 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:39:12 +0100
From: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "Toy" globes
Sender: Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>

It is less the case in these modern times, of course, because nowadays
so many kids have computers, televisions and other electronic marvels
to occupy their hearts and minds, but when I was a youngster (and it
is not THAT long ago), many kids had a toy globe stashed among the
treasures in their bedroom ... or, more often than not dismantled and
used as a combined football, paperweight, convenient weapon against
irritating siblings, and similar less-than-geographical uses. :-)

I have been trying to recall who were the main manufacturers of these
choice items? In the UK, I have a feeling that Chad Valley (whatever
happened to them?) was one of the main companies involved in this trade.
Were there others? And I was also wondering whether there are any interesting
stories attached to these globes and to the maps they used and were based
on? Does anybody know any studies, catalogues, discussions, etc. on such
matters?

Darius
Darius Bartlett                                         Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                          Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                  Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                            Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                            Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Phone(GSM): (+353) 86 8238043               Fax (GSM): (+353) 86 8018143
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web page URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/stafhome/djb/djb.htm
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....
--- End Forwarded Message ---