From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 15:19:57 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:54:47 -0500
From: Charles Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: "metadata" as a trademark
Sender: Charles Hickman <[log in to unmask]>

Jon,

One of our contacts with the U.S. Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) provided the following 1998 information about the "metadata" trademark issue from the Office of the Solicitor at the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI).

        Hope this helps,
        Charley

>>> Kimberly Burns-Braidlow 05/22/00 12:24PM >>>

  ...   The FGDC looked into the use of the word METADATA a couple of years ago.  I have a hardcopy letter dated April 20, 1998 from DOI's Office of the Solicitor.  This is what the letter says:

Re: Alleged Infringement of METADATA, Registration No. 1,409,260

To: Charles H. Thomas, Esq.
Cislo & Thomas LLP
4201 Long Beach Boulevard
Suite 405
Long Beach, CA 90807-2022

Dear Mr. Thomas:

Since talking to you on the telephone we had occasion to further review the above subject.

We are not selling any goods, under the word "METADATA;" accordingly there is no trademark infringement of the above registration.  Further, the word 'metadata' is used widely in computer programs without reference to it as a trademark.  In our opinion the word 'metadata' has entered the public domain and is no longer a trademark.  Accordingly, we feel free to use the word as we would any other word in the English language.

Signed, E. Philip Koltos, Patent Attorney, Branch of Procurement and Patents, Division of General Law

- Kim