From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2013 13:28:54 -0500
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "Rudi Traichel" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2013 11:49:44 AM
Subject: Map holdings recording using 853s and 863s.

Thank you, to everyone who responded to my queries a few months back on
how your libraries managed the processing of maps for HD density
storage. I received many great responses, many great and helpful ideas.
Thank you, everyone, who took the time to reach out and give UBC some
well needed assistance.

It turns out that the offsite storage collection that I mentioned might
actually be closer to 100k than 85k, but what are a few more sheets at
this point, ehh? We will also be tackling our on campus collections,
simultaneously, I think, all with a view that anything or all may one
day be moved to the HD facility. And it would very helpful for everyone
to know exactly what we have or do not have. All in due course. It will
take a number of years to do this.

We are still formulating a plan here at UBC, but I believe we have some
good to solid initial strategies, thanks to the input of many both here
at UBC and out there. I will share these with you all when they are
tested and in the implementation stage. I will also probably be
following up with some of you again in the coming months, to bounce
around some of our ideas.

I do have a new query. I regret to say that I only recently came across
LC MARC Discussion paper no. 2006-DP07 on Recording set information for
multipart cartographic materials
(http://www.loc.gov/marc/marbi/2006/2006-dp07.html). I found it quite
useful and very interesting.

We are considering using the 853 and 863 fields to enhance our map
summary holdings displays. We find that the 866 on its own, even
multiple 866s too busy in the OPAC view, and I tried a good number of
different approaches to enhance the display of the data. I am starting
to come to the conclusion that turning on and using the 853 and 863
fields will help create more user and inventory staff friendly displays
for multisheet series, in particular.

Have any of your libraries tested this 853/863 approach? If so, how well
did this work for the inventorying of your map holdings? Our multi sheet
sets, for instance the various Canadian National Topographic System
series, are large, but incomplete, and, of course, are made up of many
interfiled editions. Not an uncommon situation with large map series,
even at Depository Libraries. Sheets go missing over the years, get
damaged, or were never published or received, despite claiming.

Thank you, again, for all of your help and for any additional
assistance, in advance,

cheers,

Rudi

--
Rudolf Traichel
Cataloguing & Technical Services (CTS) Librarian

CTS Tel:(604) 822-3083 : RBSC Tel: 604-822-8208 ; Fax: (604) 822-3201

(@ RBSC: Wed. A.M. ; Fri. PM / @ CTS Mon. & Tues. all day ; Wed. P.M. ; Fri. A.M.)