From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:29:03 EST
5 messages.--------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:59:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: robert cerra <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Manych depression?

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Darius Bartlett wrote:

> Can anybody out there confirm or refute a small (and trivial) bit of
> information that I picked up somewhere along the line?
>
> Years ago, I remember reading (or perhaps I was told) that somewhere in
> the former Soviet Union there exists a place known as the "Manych depression"
> (pronounced "Manic Depression). It was suggested that this is a topographic
> hollow or valley of some significance. But I have not found it on any map
> or atlas.
>
> I would love to know if the Manych Depression really exists, or is it a
> mere figment of some Cold-War propaganda exercise?
>
> Darius Bartlett

    I'am reaching in my memory but I recall a documentary on an area in
Russia where all the trees had been blown down at one time and the
medorator of the TV program described the area as if it had been hit by
a huge explosion similar to a nuclear explosion this event alledgely took
place many years ago but the effects can still be seen.  This took place
in a large valley.  - Thats the best I can do

Good Luck
Bob Cerra

>From: "Judith Scurfield" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date:          Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:19:58 +1000
>Subject:       Re: Manych depression?

Darius

Yes it does!

From the U.S BGN for the USSR vol. IV--
Manych Depression  see  Kumo-Manychskaya Vpadina
 depr  46.00N 43.00E

 Which puts it south of Volgograd and west of Astrakhan and in the
Times atlas (9th comprehensive ed) p. 44 it is called Manychskaya
Vpadina, as above. The IMW series sh.NL38 shows the area with lots of
salt lakes (riverlets?). Is it possible Manich means 'low' or 'salt' in
Russian rather than what we understand it to mean in English?

Hope this helps

Estelle Canning
State Library of Victoria
Australia

>Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:28:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Edward M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Manych depression?

Darius,

The Manych Depression is real:

Kumo-Manychskaya Vpadina (depression) 46 deg N by 43 deg E in Russia
Variant names: Kuma-Manych Sink, Manych Depression, Manytsch Niederung

The first name is the transliterated Russian and presumably locally
recognized name.  The variants may reflect former names, alternate
transliterations, or minority languages.  (We show one German and two
English variants, all of which may be former exonyms.)

This area is about 120 nautical miles south-southwest of Volgograd.  The
depression is not shown in my Philip's atlas, although a number of other
features which include "Manyc" are shown.

Slante,

Ed Taylor
GEOname Digital Gazetteer, GDE Systems, Inc.
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com
GEOname Page: http://www.gdesystems.com/IIS/SlipSheets/GEONAME.html

>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:08:09 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Jackie Jackson (LIB)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Manych depression?

      The Manych Depression is a structural depression containing the
Manych River and forms the northern boundary of the North Caucasus
Economic Region in the east and extends northward into the Don valley in
the west (per Geography of the U.S.S.R. by Paul Lydolph - 3rd ed. 1977).

     On a lighter note my strangest request was when someone hearing me
speak with an accent asked me where I was from.  When I answered England,
she asked "Oh, do they speak English there?"

Jacqueline Jackson
Bibliographic Instruction Librarian     Phone:  813-893-9578
Nelson Poynter Memorial Library         FAX:    813-893-9610
University of South Florida             e-mail: [log in to unmask]
140 Seventh Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL  33701-5016

>Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 01:25:21 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Manych depression?

Darius Bartlett,
For what it is worth, the Manych Canal is mentioned in a book about the
Russo-German War in the 40's,  It is called "Hitler Moves East".  It says the
Manych Canal was the line between Europe & Asia. From the small map, it
appears that if  flows from Rostov to the Caspian Sea.
Allen Hall