From:
"Zellmer, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 08:17:09 -0500
Hello,

When I was taking a map librarianship class, I learned that at the
beginning of World War II, there were several large map collections that
provided maps in their collections to the war effort. As compensation,
after the war, those collections (AGSC was among them) received large
numbers of captured maps, in addition to getting their maps back. That is
why some libraries might have large collections of captured maps. Some map
collections might have received maps from nearby military bases as well.

Linda Zellmer
--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian