From:
"Johnson, Jenny Marie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2021 15:44:31 +0000
There are certainly other bullet point possibilities for the 3 groups below --

Building a positive and informed working relationship with your preservation/conservation department
--Encapsulation - who does it and how? Parameters for encapsulation (communicating size constraints, sometimes things just need to be folded!), purchasing supplies for encapsulation, options for full encapsulation (polyester film folders/L-sleeves
--Map folders - purchasing, whose budget?
--Mending - who, how?
--Outsourcing possibilities
--Determining what treatment is needed for specific pieces

Building a positive and informed working relationship with library administration
--Space needs (work/processing/cataloging space = big tables ; reader space = big tables)
--Collection storage needs - map cases, wide/deep shelving for quarto & folio sized volumes
--Cartographic materials in remote storage
--Library staff education/training needs

Building a positive relationship with colleagues
--Partnering to acquire "big ticket" items of mutual interest
--Cartographic materials as a resource for their instructional needs

jmj

Jenny Marie Johnson
Map and Geography Librarian & Assoc. Professor of Library Administration

University Library | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Map Library
418 Library
1408 W Gregory Dr | M/C 522
Urbana, IL 61801
217.333.3855 | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.library.illinois.edu/max<http://www.library.illinois.edu/max>

[twitter]<https://twitter.com/illinoisMAPS>

[https://webtools.illinois.edu/webservices/js/ds/signature_logo.png]<http://illinois.edu/>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.