From:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 07:33:37 -0500
Subject:        cataloging of depository maps at BYU
Date:   Thu, 23 May 2013 22:33:17 +0000
From:   Rick Grapes <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Merry,

We here at BYU have cataloged our depository maps in multiple ways.
Individual maps not part of a set are cataloged individually.  The large
sets such as nautical charts, Surface/Mineral maps etc. all have 1
series record each.  We keep track of the circulation of individual
sheets using a template at our Ref. Desk, since there is no item control
thru the system.  Our topographic maps, 100K, 250K, 15 minute, 7.5
minute,  AMS also have 1 series record for each, with this qualifier.
Since Utah is our highest demand, and since we want to maintain item
control, our Utah depository maps for these large sets are individually
cataloged and barcoded.  I guess the best example would be the 7.5
minute topos.  Each of the 49 states and US territories have 1 unique
series record, so that when people search the catalog, they’ll get an
idea of what maps we own, and the territory covered.  But for Utah, each
named quadrangle has its own record, with the various dates and editions
represented using their own call number within that 1 quadrangle
record.  The different types of 7.5 minute series also have their own
records.  Topographic maps vs. Orthophotoquads etc.  Since all our
topographic maps are filed alphabetically by state and then by the
quadrangle name, we use an alphanumeric call number, similar to what is
used by the GPO.

For example, the Provo Utah 7.5 minute quadrangle, edition of 1948
printed in 1960 has the following call number,

UT (7.5' ) Provo 1948 1960

The 2000 printing of the same quadrangle would have a call number
attached to the same bibliographic record,

UT (7.5' ) Provo 1998 2000

For the 15 minute and 100,000 scale Utah maps, the call numbers would
look like this,

UT (15’) Provo 1949 1959

UT (100K) Provo 1986

For the 250,000 scale Utah topos, the call number would also include the
2 letter code for Wyoming because the map crosses state lines.

UT WY (250K) Salt Lake 1954 1967

A few older sets such as the 1 degree by 1 degree topos also have their
own alphanumeric call numbers.

So that’s how it’s done here.  If you want to look at some examples, go
to, www.lib.byu.edu <http://www.lib.byu.edu>.  Click on Library Catalog
and use one of our inhouse secrets.  Type in _TopoProj_, short for
topographic project, and in the dropdown select _search all_.  And
you’ll see everything we’ve got.  A few titles right at first will show
both G schedule call numbers as well as their alphanum call numbers.  We
have those filed in 2 locations.

But for most of the topos stay away from the G schedule call numbers.
Hope this helps.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Rick Grapes

BYU Map Collection