From:
"Paige G. Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:47:43 -0500
Louise,

I went back and re-read the note regarding "charts" and reconsider my position. You're right, the intent here is most likely to use this for the kind of charts one finds accompanying a journal article or similar information source, as a way to illustrate statistics. That said, maps and atlases are "graphic representations of data" too! We would indeed use the f/g term Aeronautical charts for that kind of "chart", and then "Nautical charts" for those related to bodies of water.

Good question about "land surveys" and cadastral maps. I personally think that that is when this new f/g would be employed, with maps that show the outcome of a land survey, which would include the measurements of the land parcel and similar statistics and possibly show land ownership as well. But, what about those maps showing land use data/zones in the sense of planning for the future? (as opposed to land use or zoning maps that show existing or past scenarios) Wouldn't a survey have been part of the process of proposed future uses of land by a governing body? I can see the possibility of using both of these f/g terms on certain kinds of maps.

As for the Guidebooks term, I think I may have been misunderstood. I would not apply this to a tourist map itself -- my thinking is that if one is cataloging a tourist map that also includes an associated/accompanying text meant to further share information about sites, buildings, monuments, parks, etc. that a tourist might be interested in more deeply, "Guidebooks" could be added to the record as well as "Tourist maps". And in the case of atlases created for tourist use (this may be a streeeeetch as I'm not remembering anything falling into such a category) that might also contain lots of explanatory text of the aforementioned historic or cultural sites, monuments, parks, etc. wouldn't using "Guidebooks" be an assist? Of course, in such a case we already have "Atlases" as a f/g term so probably not!

Paige