From:
"Cahill, Colleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2016 10:28:53 -0400
Sonoe,
  Have you considered using a MARC 21 Bibliographic 045 Time Period of Content field?  This field can be a single year/time, multiple single dates or a range, as needed.  This would allow you to have a indexable field with the date of situation.  In the cataloging records for the individual sheets of the HQ Twelfth Army Group situation maps, there an 045 reflecting the exact day of the map, such as in the April 16, 1945 example (https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=STNO&searchArg=2004631937&searchType=1&recCount=10).  Click on the "MARC Tags" tab and you will see an example of our 045.

  Hope this is helpful.

Colleen

Colleen R. Cahill
Digital Conversion Coordinator and
    Recommending Officer for Fantasy and Science Fiction
Geography & Map Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20540-4650