From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:03:33 EDT
Two messages.-------------------------Johnnie

    :         Fri, 07 Apr 95 11:46:42 EDT
    :         SFEWOODS@UBVM
       :      Re: Maps of Urban Mass Transportation

Hello,  About   subway maps or underground or tunnel maps I collect these
world maps for my own research and the map collection here in Buffalo. I am
studying about 25 maps of world transport systems limiting the work to subway
maps or cities that have a combination of subway and light rail surface systems
.   I acquired the maps by using the Janes Urban Transport Systems Handbook
which gives the address of the worlds metros.
                         Ernie Woodson,  State Univ. N.Y. at Buffalo

    : Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:52:23 -0500
    : [log in to unmask](Dennis McClendon)
       : Re: Maps of Urban Mass Transportation

Ryan S. Park writes

>I would be interested to know of any libraries or collections out there
>which "specialize" in [transit system maps], and would enjoy "meeting" others
>who share in my interest.  Besides the transit authorities themselves, I
>would also be interested to know in other sources for such maps.

I have been collecting these personally for about 15 years, and have a
couple hundred, most from North American and Western Europe.  They are
finally coming to some use since I now do the system map for the Chicago
Transit Authority.

Chris Winters at the University of Chicago Map Library has also been
aggressive in collecting transit system maps over the last few years, and
has built up a good collection.

Two other firms that specialize in transit system maps are Michael Hertz
Associates, in New York, and Smartmaps, Knoxville, Tenn.  They may have
their own collections, and may be willing to provide copies of maps that
they do.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics     [log in to unmask]