From:
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:21:34 -0500
Subject: Advice on road maps
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:53:46 -0700
From: "Ken Rockwell" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello, all:
  The following query was forwarded to me.  I responded from my own
experience, but the inquirer is interested in others' perspectives.
Contact Elena Longsworth directly at
[log in to unmask]   She's probably not on the list.

Query:
We have been scouring the net for map sources.  We are in search of
one-sheet folding state roadmaps many orders of magnitude finer than the
standard gas-station-issue Rand-McNally or AAA. State maps may not be
your specialty, but perhaps you have a line [or many lines] on sources
and individuals with comparable commitment to quality, a brotherhood of
entrepreneurial cartographers.  In our travels, mostly in the American
West so far, weıve found only a few publishers with the accuracy,
terrain representation and attention to local-road/backroad/off-road
detail we want, usually "recreational maps², for the Rocky Mountain
states [GTR Mapping, Canon City, CO] and one veritable work of art for
Oregon [Imus Geographics in Eugene].  We will next be traveling
Washington state and north into Canada, but over the next several years
will be traversing a great deal of the rest of the U.S. and would like
to know where we are going, in greater detail, far off the beaten track
of Interstate!
 asphalt. We know of Benchmark and DeLorme atlases, and have several
which we use for planning; we definitely take them along too, but they
donıt fit the usual map slots found in a car, so theyıre stored
elsewhere between stops, not as easily to hand.  For on-the-road use we
prefer the single-sheet kind.  Any sources you could give us, others in
your field and of your caliber, would be gratefully received and
explored.

Follow-up request:
All right, looks like we have a bunch of new stuff to check out, many
thanks for all the tips ...  Might you have any recommendations (&
e-ddresses) for equally resourceful map librarians at other state
university libraries?

Rather than giving out your email addresses, I chose to post to MAPS-L
so that you can reply at your own leisure.  That's Elena Longsworth:

--Ken Rockwell