From:
James R Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2016 11:36:12 -0600
Julie, et.al. - Note the Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion map projection is
on an Icosahedron.  The Icosahedron is a known solid object made up of
20 triangular surfaces.  What Fuller did was position the world grid on
the surface of the Icosahedron so that it could be unfolded in many ways
to make more useful flat maps.  In doing this the north and south poles
are not located at nodes of the Icosahedron.   As noted at the web site
below, it took many years for Fuller to find the fit of the Earth's
surface that could be unfolded to produce a surface linking all continents.

Thus, is this a trademark of the mathematical projection or the
systematic positioning of the Earth's surface on a known geometric
surface?  I think the later.  As such, this is consistent with Brenden's
statement below:   Copyright is protection for an artistic/literary
expression.

Jim Carter

On 11/14/2016 10:19 AM, Julie Sweetkind-Singer wrote:

> Brendan,
>

> In the United States you can trademark a projection and Buckminster
> Fuller is the one example of this that comes readily to mind.  The
> Dymaxion map projection is trademarked and you must contact the
> Institute to use it.  You can read that here:
> https://www.bfi.org/about-fuller/big-ideas/dymaxion-world/dymaxion-map .
>

> Stanford holds the Fuller archives.  We spoke to the folks at the
> Buckminister Fuller Institute about putting the projection into the
> public domain to encourage wider usage, but were not able to convince
> them of the worth of this move.
>

> Best,
>

> Julie
>

> ****
>
> Julie Sweetkind-Singer
>
> Assistant Director of Geospatial and Cartographic Services
>
> Head, Branner Earth Sciences Map Library & Map Collections
>
> 397 Panama Mall, 2nd floor
>
> Stanford University
>
> Stanford, CA 94305
>
> 650-725-1102

Dr. James R. "Jim" Carter, Emeritus Professor
Geography-Geology Department
Illinois State University, Normal, IL 61790-4400 USA
                 -- http://www.ilstu.edu/~jrcarter --
tel: (309) 662-2882                             fax: (309) 438-5310
Normal Rotarian                      Grower of Ice on plants and rocks
Senior Professionals, ISU            Friend of Map of Dora fame